Get industry-leading control of unwanted grubs
By Matt Giese, technical services manager for Syngenta
Acelepryn® insecticide has become the standard for grub control due to its consistent performance. A single application, applied early, delivers season-long control of grubs, billbugs and turf caterpillars such as armyworms, cutworms and sod webworms. The broad-spectrum control of Acelepryn is also effective against European Crane Fly and can suppress chinch bug populations. As an insecticide available for turf in group 28 (anthanilic diamides), the unique class of chemistry and novel mode of action makes Acelepryn a great resistance management tool.
Acelepryn offers the most effective control when applied in April or May, but also delivers excellent control of grubs when applied in June (see table). The wide application window of Acelepryn gives turf professionals the flexibility to make grub applications at a time that is convenient for their operation. Due to its low water-solubility, Acelepryn applications made later in the season (June) should be watered-in to ensure it moves into the soil where it will be available to newly hatched grubs.
Acelepryn is a versatile product that fits well within a lawn care program. It is also labeled for use on landscape ornamentals. The product is registered by the Environmental Protection Agency under its Reduced Risk Program1.
There are several methods to make applications, including:
- A foliar application to control leaf-feeding caterpillars and Japanese beetle adults
- A soil drench to prevent lace bugs, aphids and birch leafminers
- A bark spray to eliminate clearwing borers
- Broadcast spray applications to landscape beds for grub control
For your convenience, Acelepryn is available in a half-gallon suspension concentrate (volume discount for 10 or more gallons), as a 25-pound granular and on fertilizer formulations.
Barricade® brand herbicide is an excellent tank-mix partner with Acelepryn for selective pre-emergence weed control and white grub and caterpillar residual (Acelepryn is labeled for all turf locations where Barricade is labeled). A volume discount is available for Barricade 4FL, and Barricade 65WG is also available for use on fertilizer.
For more information on Acelepryn and controlling grubs and turf caterpillars, download free marketing materials that you can give to homeowners.
|Season-long control makes the difference
Contact your local Syngenta territory manager for additional materials and information.
- Our treatment program is extremely effective at controlling lawn insects and has little impact on beneficial insects customers do want in their yards, such as honey bees and earthworms.
- There is no adverse effect on bumble bee colonies, even when the worker bees are exposed to flowering clover that is directly sprayed with Acelepryn*.
- Acelepryn provides a superior level of grub control in customers’ yards, even when used at the lowest application rate in the industry.
- When used as labeled, Acelepryn does not present a hazard to humans or domestic animals.
- Acelepryn can be used to treat with low use rates, which means less product is needed for turf insect control.
*Larson, Jonathan L., Redmond, Carl T., Potter, Daniel A. “Assessing Insecticide Hazard to Bumble Bees Foraging on Flowering Weeds in Treated Lawns.” PLOS ONE 6.8 (2013): n.page. Web
1A reduced risk pesticide is defined as one which may reasonably be expected to accomplish one or more of the following; (1) reduces pesticide risks to human health; (2) reduces pesticide risks to non-target organisms; (3) reduces the potential for contamination of valued, environmental resources, or (4) broadens adoption of IPM or makes it more effective. Acelepryn qualifies under one or more of the above criteria.
©2020 Syngenta. Important: Always read and follow label instructions. Some products may not be registered for sale or use in all states or counties and/or may have state-specific use requirements. Please check with your local extension service to ensure registration and proper use. Acelepryn is a Restricted Use Pesticide in the State of Hawaii. Acelepryn®, Barricade® and the Syngenta logo are trademarks of a Syngenta Group Company.