Prepare for a disease-free fall
By Mike Agnew, Ph.D., technical services manager, Syngenta
Fall brings diseases that can impact golf course management including dollar spot, leaf spot and rusts.
Applications: May 25—Aug. 16; 14-, 21- and 28-day intervalsApplication Timing
- Warm days and cool nights that produce heavy dews are conducive for dollar spot development. However, the key to dollar spot control is to plan preventive fungicide applications prior to a disease outbreak.
- Posterity® XT and Posterity Forte fungicides offer flexibility with three modes of action.
- Posterity XT provides control of diseases such as summer patch, anthracnose and take-all patch in addition to dollar spot.
- Posterity Forte is designed for extended dollar spot control in addition to brown patch and leaf spot diseases.
- Secure® Action™ and Posterity fungicides are also great options to help control dollar spot in the fall.
- Secure Action provides the protection of a multi-site contact fungicide.
- Posterity brands deliver long-lasting systemic dollar spot control.
- The Fungicide Resistance Action Committee (FRAC) considers multi-site fungicides to be valuable tools that manage resistance by delaying its development to many pathogens.
Dollar spot can be controlled with properly scheduled fungicide applications starting after Labor Day.
Bruce Clark, Rutgers University, 2017. Secure Action was reapplied on September 15. All other treatments were reapplied on September 22, 2017.Fall clean-up of leaf spots and rusts
- Secure Action applied at 0.5 fl. oz. per 1,000 ft.2 can control dollar spot for up to 21 days.
- Posterity Forte at 0.63 fl. oz. per 1,000 ft.2 can provide excellent control of dollar spot for up to 28 days.
- If take-all patch or other soil-borne diseases are targets in addition to dollar spot, Posterity XT at 1.5-3.0 fl. oz. per 1,000 ft.2 can provide broad-spectrum disease control throughout the fall.
- If extended dollar spot and leaf spots are of more interest, consider Posterity Forte at 0.42-0.63 fl. oz. per 1,000 ft.2.
- It is recommended to shorten spray intervals to ensure optimal disease control during weather conditions that are conducive for high disease pressure.
- Sign up for dollar spot alerts at GreenCastOnline.com / AgronomicAlerts to receive alerts for your area.
While dollar spot may be the most important fall disease, leaf spots and rust can also adversely impact turfgrass.
- Occur in areas that experience more than 10 hours of foliar wetness a day for several consecutive days
- Favors temperatures between 40° F and 80° F
- Favors high amounts of nitrogen and a low mowing height
- Favor moist, low-light areas
- Favor temperatures between 65° F and 86° F, depending on the species
- Severe rust infections occur on slow-growing turfgrass, particularly those with low nitrogen levels and/or plant water stress
Secure Action or Posterity XT, applied in early October, can provide excellent control of leaf spots and rust.
To find an agronomic program to help prevent these diseases and more in your region, please visit GreenCastOnline.com/Programs
or contact your local Syngenta territory manager
.Performance evaluations are based solely upon interpretation of public information and field observations. Trial reflects treatment rates commonly recommended in the marketplace.
©2021 Syngenta. Important: Always read and follow label instructions. Some products may not be registered for sale or use in all states or counties and/or may have state-specific use requirements. Please check with your local extension service to ensure registration and proper use. Action™, GreenCast®, Posterity® and the Syngenta logo are trademarks of a Syngenta Group Company. Secure® is a trademark of Ishihara Sangyo Kaisha, LTD. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.